Monday, March 7, 2011

Space & Weather

I know all about space. For instance, when I was getting ready to travel to Mexico recently to speak at a women’s conference, I was told I could take one suitcase, one small carry-on and a purse. But the area in Mexico I would be staying can have tropical weather that could sometimes turn to freezing temperatures. And so I piled all of my neatly folded clothes on the bed, clothes that would fit the bill for a five or six day trip to such a climate. But then I also needed my hairdryer and electric curlers and makeup appropriate for a sixty-five year old. Soon all of my spaces had been packed and …well…there were still many items that would not fit! So the important things stayed in the suitcases: makeup, hairdryer and rollers. Much of everything stayed behind! Suitcases are uncompromising!

Space can be even more personal. I have some jeans. I like desserts. When I gain an extra ten pounds my jeans refuse to accommodate my expanded body and something has to give. So I don’t wear jeans until I loose the extra weight. You see with space, there is NO COMPROMISING!
***********************************

In June 2005, we were preparing to receive the many pallets of product back from Navpress. They had a huge warehouse and at that point we had none. We had scoured the town and found nothing available that we could afford. Then one day Jodie said she had passed a farm house about a mile from the office and there had been a sign that said “Warehouse for rent”. We immediately contacted the number on the sign only to find out it was owned by Jeffrey, a fabulous young pastor and his family! They called us back with their asking price: $100 a month!

We were ecstatic! The warehouse was the exact size of a two car garage. We had no idea how much space the workbooks and DVDs would take up but surely this would be enough room! We were told there would be forty pallets coming but truthfully none of us women had any idea how large a pallet could be yet we were confident we would have enough space!

We purchased enough shelving to go all around the sides of the room and assembled them one afternoon. There was no insulation so our friend Paul came and insulated the room, added a heater and air conditioner and sealed the floors. It looked great to our eyes.

The following day the inventory was suppose to arrive in two semi trucks at 1:00 sharp. Our new warehouse manager, Rosemary Nelson, my husband Chuck and I were there waiting at 12:45. We had rented a fork lift to move the pallets off the trucks and into place while Chuck had agreed to stay until 2:00 and to operate it. But the truck didn’t show up at 1:00 nor was it there by 1:55. We were panicked as Chuck had to leave but he called Paul who graciously drove across town to take over the fork lift responsibilities.

At last the first truck arrived but in coming in the driveway ripped an electrical line down. We found out later that it was one that was no longer in use but at the moment it was not a happy sight! The truck driver parked the truck and opened the back doors and remarked with confidence “there wasn’t a chance in &*%$ that all of that stuff would go into that small space!”

Just about the time Paul started moving the pallets off the truck with the fork lift the sky grew extremely dark. It looked like it would open up at any minute and pour buckets of rain! We didn’t know what to do so we prayed, begging God to hold off the rain and help expand the space to make room for our entire product! It was a fervent, frantic prayer turning to the only One who controlled space and weather!

We had twenty-four pallets loaded into the space and it looked just about completely full. The second semi arrived and we continued to work as fast as we could while storm clouds threatened. After about two hours of working frantically the last pallet was moved into place and we all stood back and looked in amazement. There was not an extra inch of space left but there had been a place for all forty pallets….. and the moment we shut the door to the warehouse it began pouring rain!

The immense power of God toward those He loves is incredible. I praised God all of the way home as I am sure Rosemary did also. We had felt like we were in a battle and yet God, our great defender, had provided everything we needed and proved Himself Lord of weather and space. Indeed, Lord of all!

 
Job 5: 8, 9, 10
But as for me I would seek God…
Who does great things and unsearchable,
Marvelous things without number.

No comments:

Post a Comment