Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Chance Encounter

I wonder how many lives are totally changed by what we would consider is a ‘chance encounter’.

I had a catering business in the late seventies. We sold sandwiches and salads to a large insurance company every day. I sold a gentleman an egg and olive sandwich one day. He asked if I was a Christian. I replied I was an American therefore yes I was. He then very cheerfully asked if I was born-again. I replied no…that was only for “rednecks”. He smiled and said that in John 3 Jesus had told Nicodemas that one must be born again in order to inherit the Kingdom of God. Then he paid for his sandwich and left. That one encounter was the beginning of my journey to Christ. It was a chance encounter but really it was a “Christ” encounter.

***************************************************

In December 2005, Robin and I had driven to Nashville, Tennessee for a business meeting. Because it would run late we decided to stay overnight and Robin’s husband had generously provided a balcony room overlooking the beautiful indoor gardens at the fabulous Opryland Hotel. We had spent the evening enjoying every aspect of the gorgeous resort as it was gloriously decorated for the Christmas Season.

The next morning, we rose early and walked down to the hotel dining room to order breakfast. A young man of Mexican decent waited on us. Though he spoke in halting English, he was cheerful and kind and courteous and very helpful in recommending certain dishes he thought we would enjoy. After he took our order he asked if we had big plans for the day.

I told him we were going to visit several churches and introduce them to a new Bible study we had just produced before heading back to Atlanta. With that his eyes lit up and he asked many questions about the study. Then he turned to me and asked if I had a word of encouragement for him.

Now that is a question I am not asked every day but before I knew it I had blurted out, “Be faithful!” That seemed to be a word he needed and he began telling us his story about how he came to know the Savior! It was short and exciting and we felt that the Spirit of God was simply bursting forth and filling all of us!

Soon he delivered our breakfast and his recommendations had been excellent. We simply feasted on fabulous food until not only our souls but our stomachs were full to the brim. And then a special dish arrived, a bowl of beautiful fruit with a Crème Brule dipping sauce. “A gift, he said, and with that he handed us a book, Spiritual Waiting. Robin had a set of The Amazing Collection with her and so she gave that to him. When we went to pay the bill, there was “no charge”.

In real life, two Georgia suburban women don’t have much in common with a young Mexican waiter living in Tennessee, but in God’s Kingdom we are family, brothers and sisters united by the love of Christ and we have a common Spirit and a common destiny.

I don’t know what ever happened to this “brother” of mine, but I do know he made an indelible impression on my life.

First, he made his job a place in which to bless others, bring glory to Christ and truly let his light shone.

Secondly, he gave generously. Our breakfast was not cheap. Someone had to pay for it. I feel certain he did it.

Thirdly, he was prepared. He had a significant book close by so he could share it with someone else.

And lastly but probably the most important, he had a story that he could tell in a short period of time in a way that would make an impact and not be at all offensive.

I was impressed. That was six years ago and I am still impressed!

A chance encounter…no, it was a Christ encounter and I am so grateful for each and every one of them.

1 Corinthians 2:4
And my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom but
in the demonstration of the Spirit and of power.

No comments:

Post a Comment