Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pay Attention

I wasn’t paying attention. I was driving to my dermatologist’s offices and was paying little attention to where I was going. I had a lot of things bartering for attention in my brain. I had groceries to buy and a house to clean and three papers to finish for seminary and …the list goes on so I won’t bore you. But the point is I WAS NOT PAYING ATTENTION.

I had just turned on Westside Parkway and decided that if I turned left at the light I might be able to land somewhere near where I was going. And so without thinking I made a left turn. Just as I got half of my 1998 Toyota Forerunner into oncoming traffic, a Chevy Malibu came out of nowhere and ran right into me.

Many thoughts descended upon my brain at once. Here are a few:
  1. Hey…how come HE did that!
  2. He should have turned into the other lane and missed me.
  3. He should have stopped sooner.
  4. He wasn’t paying attention.
  5. He…he...he…
But then as I sat there reeling, reality set in. I WAS WRONG. It was totally my fault. Though I wanted more than anything to blame it all on the other guy, the truth was the blame was all mine. I was NOT paying attention and ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Distractions come so easily and can cost us dearly. For me it is a large fine and a dented car that doesn’t look smart. But I have thought often of how blessed I was that I did not kill someone. It leaves me shaken. Sometimes the consequences of not paying attention can be lifelong and even eternal. Busyness can distract me from the Word. Outside activities can distract me from the home. Work can distract me from intimacy with my husband. And blaming others can distract me from owning up to my mistakes and dealing with them in a mature and wise way.

Proverbs 5:1 gives us some good advice:

My son, pay attention to my wisdom;
Lend your ear to my understanding,
That you may preserve discretion,
And your lips may keep knowledge.
Proverbs 5:1

So are you paying attention? The consequences could be greater than you could ever imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment