Sunday, May 4, 2014

A Study of Proverbs by Linda Sweeney


 
As a child I received many “proverbs” from my grandmother.  She had some of the greatest sayings, which didn’t mean a lot to me at the time…sort of wasted on my youth, but as I matured, I realized what a wise woman she was.  The “sayings” she shared with me took on new meaning WHEN I applied them.  I often smile when I remember some of the things she taught me.  One memory I think of often with great fondness is when I was telling her some sad story about a situation I didn’t like or one where I had been hurt, was scared or wondered how I would ever “live through it!”  I had so many dramas in my life, especially as a teenager, that I don’t remember the exact “tragedy” I was relaying, but I do remember her saying “If all of our troubles were hung on a line (clothes line for laundry), you’d take yours and I’d take mine.”  That was her way of telling me that everyone has troubles and that there’s always someone with a harder situation than mine.  I’ve come to realize that this is definitely true!
As an adult, I’ve learned to read God’s Proverbs knowing that there is great wisdom there.  This is wisdom for a life of skillful living!  The book of Proverbs in the Bible was mostly composed by the wisest man to ever live, King Solomon.  God gave him great wisdom because he asked for it instead of all the other choices he could have made.  People came from great distances to hear his wisdom.  Most scholars believe these were written during his middle age years.  This book is really God’s “How to” advice for His children so that we will live a better life and be blessed.  Some of the writings are pretty funny and some show us the comparison between the wise person and the fool by the choices they make.
I would like to challenge you to read one chapter in Proverbs each day for 31 days (there are exactly 31 chapters in this book) and at the end of each chapter jot down one principle of wisdom that God has shown you.  Keeping these in a journal would be a great way to record what God wants you to know.  Be sure you ask The Holy Spirit to guide your thinking and show you what the spiritual meaning is.  It’s easy sometimes to interpret a proverb we hear with worldly wisdom.  For instance, “If the shoe fits, wear it” does not mean I can buy all the shoes I try on that fit!  Sometimes I wish it did!   Why not start by asking God to help you interpret His Proverbs for your particular situation and show you how you can be wise in the role where God has placed you:  Wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, and/or co-worker.  Here’s a great one to start with if you are desiring to be an amazing woman:  Proverbs 3:5-6 says:  “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.”   Wisdom, or skill for living, comes from God and begins with the fear and knowledge of Him (see Proverbs 9:10).
There are many components of wisdom described in the book of Proverbs, many of which are outlined in the first chapter. Describe all of the aspect of wisdom in each of the following verses:
Proverbs 1:2:
Proverbs 1:3:
Proverbs 1:4:
Proverbs 1:5:
Proverbs 1:6:
Proverbs 1:7:
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment