Monday, April 5, 2010

The Power of Prayer

I remember well a time when at the age of nine, I saw my dog, Timothy, drop through the ice on Lake Michigan and disappear below the surface. I was terrified, immobilized and could do nothing but fall on my knees on that frozen beach and scream a passionate prayer to God. “Help Timothy! Help Timothy!” A few minutes later my dog came racing up the beach to me. He had been rescued by my very brave eleven year old friend. She had risked her life and had run out onto the ice and saved my dog. I could do nothing but pray. .. but that was enough

The Prayer Campaign Begins
And so we began to move out into the unknown. I met with the Mighty Prayer Warriors, four housewives sitting in Gwen’s sun porch ready to ask for the impossible. We were timid. “Lord, could we please have some money… we would like to hire a production company.” Actually I don’t think we used the term ‘production company’ because we didn’t know what a production company was, but we knew we needed someone with a video camera. “Lord, could we please have some money ….and someone with a video camera?”

Some money. We were hoping for a few hundred to start. God immediately brought us a gift of $10,000. (Three years later, this same group would no longer be timid but on more than one occasion would rush into the Throne of Grace asking for sums that would have staggered our minds just two years before! In the end, God would bring us $1,700,000)

It was one of our first acts of prayer and the speed in which it was answered was shocking and thrilling. HE, the Lord of all creation, had heard the prayers of four women sitting on the sun porch and had answered with a resounding YES…..and not just yes but more than we had ever expected. Another bump in the road had been mastered. We gratefully stood up a little straighter and marched on.

Prayer formed the foundation of the ministry. Over the next years, God continually provided through prayer alone. The interesting thing is that we never knew where the funding would come from. God would continue to surprise us as we would receive funding often from obscure places as God continued to remind us that it was His provision alone. And that provision came to us as we weekly cried out on our knees, “Help us! Help us!”


Matthew 18:19-20
Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in My name there I am in the midst of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment