Monday, March 22, 2010

A Good Mechanic

When my car stalls I call our mechanic. He always asks questions to try to get to the heart of the matter. Did I flood the engine? Is there gas in the tank? Does the engine turn over? And usually he will diagnose the problem simply by asking the right questions. Right questions are a great help in diagnosing problems.

The right questions came from Bruce Wilkinson and it was those questions that got me back on the road. He met with me three times during those thirteen months and always at his request. The first time was to review leadership. His probing questions made me take a look at my life and my leadership in women’s ministry in a new way. In many ways it seemed like God HAD prepared me for this.

The second time he addressed my fear. I baulked. He was a competent, successful minister, author and business man. He couldn’t understand my inadequacies. I left frustrated and confused and angry.

The Right Questions
It was the third time that really made a difference and got me back on track. He asked me to name everything I was afraid of which I gladly did without any hesitation. I was well acquainted with them because I lived with them daily! And then he began to take those fears and hold them up to the light of Christ so their power diminished.

Just before I left that meeting he spoke such profound words that made all of the difference in the world to me. He explained that I would one day stand before the Lord and He would ask for an accounting of my life. When He asked about my obedience to step out in faith with the goal of reaching a million women with the Word of God in a DVD study, I would need to give an answer. He laid out three choices. I could pick one.

1. Lord, I knew what you wanted me to do, but I was so afraid I did nothing.
2. Lord, I knew what you wanted me to do, and I was very afraid but I did my best. But even with my best it failed.
3. Lord, I knew what you wanted me to do and so I gave it my best and now there are millions of women world wide who are learning for life about every book in God’s Word.

A Decision Made
I looked at my choices. I love the Lord with all of my heart. Because of that, choice one was not an option. That day I made a decision to move forward, to do my best and to leave the rest to the Lord. It was not an easy step. I had to lay aside all fears of my inadequacies, of failure and “what will people say” and focus on Christ. If I was to be humiliated, so be it. But behind that decision was a little light of hope. WHAT IF…….and millions were reached! It was a chance worth taking.


Isaiah 41:10
Do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God
I will strengthen you,
Surely I will help you,
Surely I will uphold you with my righteous right hand..

No comments:

Post a Comment