Thursday, March 25, 2010

So What's the Plan

Have you ever wondered what Peter and Andrew thought when Jesus said “Follow Me?” I mean, don’t you think at some point they wondered “So what’s the plan? EXACTLY where are we going? Will I like it? Will it make me happy? Will I get paid and if so how much? And what about benefits? Health insurance? And I have a family. How many nights a week will I be on the road. Two? Five?”

You see there are so many questions that come to mind when we start down a new road. We want to know if we are going to be comfortable. Safe. Happy. But the problem with Jesus is that He doesn’t give any answers. He just says “Follow Me.” No map. No contract. No travel guide. Just follow.

A Prayer Team
My hands were literally shaking that day in December 2000 as I called first Julie Lord, then Gwen Lehmann, and Dorinda Hathaway. I knew them as true “praying women”, not those who SAY they will pray but you have a sneaky feeling that it ends there. But these women took prayer seriously and often came to the Throne of Grace with their petitions and most everyone else’s. They could be trusted, but they were also discerning. Would they think I was NUTS? Yet within a few minutes I had a prayer team. And not just any prayer team, but three women who were excited about the possibility of what God might do! I was astonished!

A Teaching Team
The next calls went to Eleanor Lewis, Margie Reuther, Linda Sweeney and Gerry Sisk. Would they be a teaching team for a video series that may or may not take place? Amazingly, each woman responded by saying they did not have to pray about it because this was an answer to their prayer! (Later Gerry would have to regretfully step down due to illness.)

At this point I began to see that maybe God was truly up to something. I was feeling less shaky and a little more confident, so the road lost a few more obstacles. With two phone calls fear was dispelled and in its place was…WOW!!...sisters who wanted to be a part of the journey! Now it didn’t matter what people would say because we were a team! We would stand or fall together! Now I was not traveling alone but had three fervent prayer warriors and four great teachers coming along with me. It felt less lonely, and though there was still no map, at least there were friends along for the ride and that made a huge difference!

Matthew 8:26
And Jesus said, “Why are you timid you men of little faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment